Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A New Kind of Cool

I was driving down the road today with the kids in the car. Carter has a new obsession with having the wind in his face as we ride, so we had the sunroof open, the windows down, and the radio blaring - to the Blue's Clues soundtrack. Oh yes, I'm driving through town singing at the top of my lungs, "You've got to find the first paw print. That's the first clue. You put it in your notebook, cause it's whose clues - Blue's Clues!" It was at this point that I realized that I am now longer cool (if I ever was to begin with!). Then I looked back at Carter's face. He was smiling and laughing and singing along with me. To him, it's cool to drive down the street serenading passersby with music about a blue cartoon dog. Funny, the things that would have been embarrassing a few years ago are cool now, just because they make my kids smile.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've blogged. Things have been busy around here. Carter's out of preschool for the summer, so we've been having fun at home together. He loves to paint, glue, color - anything artistic. He's also grown quite fond of the park. He requests to go almost daily. Usually when Seth gets home from work, he takes Carter out to the swing set in the back yard to play. Last night I looked out the window, and Seth was working diligently on the slide. I yelled out to him, "Dear, it looks like you're waxing the slide. You're not, are you?" He looked up with a gleam in his eye, "Oh yeah, I am." Apparently, it had gotten a bit to slow for his taste, so he waxed it. Two coats. Now Carter goes flying down the slide, off the end of it, and straight into the grass. He, of course, loves it. Seth says he's putting another coat of wax on. At least Seth can sew him up when he needs stitches.

Carter continues to keep us entertained. He has a toy truck that he has decided is Birdie and Kevin's truck (these are two very good friends of ours). Not only does he have their truck, but he puts two crayons in the back of it - they're named Birdie and Kevin. He drives the truck all around the house announcing, "Birdie and Kevin are going to work. Birdie and Kevin are shopping. Birdie and Kevin are home." It's really cute. This morning, Carter was playing in his room and I kept thinking that I was hearing him say applesauce. This didn't make any sense to me. Then I looked down and realized what he was playing with - an abacus! Seth teaches him the oddest words! He also loves to talk about terrariums.

Maggie is doing great. She's rolling all over the place now. She gets her eye on something across the room, and off she goes, rolling until she gets to it and grabs it. She LOVES her big brother. Her face just lights up every time he talks to her. And she's a wonderful sleeper! Last night I put her to bed at 8:30 and she didn't wake up until 6:00 the next morning! We're so lucky! Well, that's about it for us. I'm going to finish watching the Dancing With the Stars finale. I'll try to do better with updating!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So happy to get updates on Carter & Maggie!! I sincerely believe (after reading about the driving scene) that Carter is delighted to have such a cool Mom!