Friday, May 4, 2007

Plotting

I'm pretty sure that Carter and Maggie are plotting against us when we leave the room. How else could my two wonderful sleepers have coordinated such a sleepless night last night? Here's how I think it went down:

Carter: Hey Mags, don't you think it would be funny to wake Mommy up a couple of times tonight?
Maggie: Mmm-hmm. Mommy's getting a little too comfortable with this sleeping through the night thing. Do you want me to just scream a lot?
Carter: No, that's too obvious. Let's make the theme pee-pee. I'll start.

And he did. At a little past midnight, we heard Carter come out of his room, crying, saying that he needed to potty. We put him on the potty, and we went and went and went. Then he actually fell asleep mid-stream. The kid fell asleep on the potty. Now that takes talent. Seth just scooped him up and carried him back to bed when the flow stopped.

So, back to the plotting:
Maggie: So, what do you want me to do?
Carter: Drink a lot tonight before bed so that you can leak out of your diaper later on. Then start fussing because you're uncomfortable.
Maggie: Not a problem. Do you want me to add in a little "I've flipped onto my tummy and I'm frustrated that I can't flip back over" so she knows I'm really upset?
Carter: Oooh! That's good!
Maggie: And of course, I'll have to nurse for at least 30 minutes once she gets me changed and dry.
Carter: Wow, I've trained you well. You're a quick learner.
Maggie: I'm learning from the pro.

So Maggie did her part of the plot starting at about 3:30am. I've been watching the two of them today, looking for signs of a plot for tonight. I didn't see any communication going on, but they're quite sneaky - you never know. I'm hoping for a peaceful night, because we have a really busy day tomorrow. The kids and I are going to meet my sister and her kids at the park in the morning. Then I'm going to try to get Carter to take a quick nap before we go to a Kentucky Derby party tomorrow afternoon. I'd like to squeeze in a little sewing time for my newest project - my first quilt - if at all possible. I've got it cut out, and I've pieced my squares together. Now I'm ready to get sewing. It's a little after 10:00 now, so I'm going to head off to bed. You never know when you're kids are plotting a sleepless night - I'm going to sleep while I can!