Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Keeping a Straight Face

I have had the hardest time keeping a straight face when trying to discipline Carter lately. It all started the other night when we were having trouble getting him to stay in bed. We would put him in bed, close the door, and come sit down in the living room. A few minutes later, Carter's door would open and we would hear him doing what he thought was sneaking down the hallway. Then we would see this little head peek around the corner. Then he would laugh hysterically at himself. Now, Seth and I really do not enjoy this little game, but this particular night, it was just funny. We knew that one of us had to get up, with a straight face, and sternly put Carter to bed. The problem was, we were both turned away from him, trying really hard to regain our composure, so he wouldn't know we were laughing. I finally thought I had it together, but as soon as I stood up and looked at him, I lost it. Oh well, guess I lost that battle.

Today, Carter was on a roll. I noticed a very suspicious silence in the house while I was feeding Maggie earlier. I called to Carter several times, and of course, no answer. I heard a rustling in the kitchen, so when I could put Maggie down, I headed in there. I was greeted by a two-year-old, holding the container of Ovaltine powder. He was licking his finger, dipping it in the chocolate, and eating it. When I caught him, he proudly announced, "Look Momma! I have chockie!" How can you not laugh? Luckily, he willingly handed over the canister and let me clean him up.

Later, I went back to my bedroom to get something and when I came back into the kitchen, Carter was standing at the open freezer with a spoon. He looked at me and said, "I want ice cream!" I said, "No, it's too close to dinner." So he said, "Okay, then I want cookie." Like that's so much better.

Later, he snagged a cookie. How do I know this? Maggie started crying while I was in the restroom. When I got to the living room to try to calm her, I found that someone else had beaten me to it. She was where I left her in the bouncy seat, but there was a pacifier laying next to her head, and a trail of cookie crumbs leading down her clothes and away from the chair. I just let the little guy stay wherever he was hiding and enjoy his cookie. A little act of kindness to your sister deserves a cookie, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's my resourceful and VERY clever grandson!