Thursday, April 19, 2007

Dog Day

This morning started out great. Carter came in this morning and climbed in bed with me while Seth took a shower. There is nothing better than a good Carter snuggle when you first wake up. Seth usually takes Carter to Mother's Day Out on Thursday mornings, so I was going to take my time, get him ready to go, feed Maggie, and then go get my shower. Ella had a 9:10 appointment at the vet for her annual exam, so we had plenty of time. Until I found out that Seth had been called in to do surgery and would not be able to take Carter to school. Then I kicked it into overdrive. I took a quick shower, got Carter dressed, put the kids in the car, took Carter to school, and ran back home so I'd have time to feed Maggie before we had to leave for the vet.

I really hate taking the dog to the vet. I hate it on many different levels. For one, Ella is horrible on a leash. She likes to run around your legs so that the leash catches you from behind and almost knocks you over. It is difficult enough to walk with Ella alone, but let's add a 3 month old baby in a car seat to the mix. Do you see my dilemma? Mmm-hmm. Also, now that I have the kids in the back seat of the car, Ella has to ride in the hatchback part of the car, and she refuses to jump up there on her own. I have to push, prod, and eventually manhandle the dog into the vehicle. Then we actually get to the vet and the exam starts. Ella has never had a completely normal exam. The good news today - she has lost 10 pounds and is down to 75 pounds. I thought we were doing great until the doctor told me that now she only needs to lose 10 more pounds to be at her ideal weight. Then the news got worse. Ella has a severe food allergy which has made her ears so inflamed that only 10 percent of the canal is open. So now she's on prednisone, antibiotics, two ear drops, and the most expensive hypoallergenic dog food I've ever seen. To top it all off, I have to take her back in two weeks for a recheck - on a day that I will have both kids in tow. I actually asked the receptionist if it would be okay if I called them from the car when I get there next time so they can send someone out to help me bring Ella inside. And I was quite serious. Luckily, they said they would help out.

When we got home, I pulled the car in the garage, closed the door, and opened the hatchback of the car. I thought Ella, who plowed me down jumping out of the car at the vet's office, would really be excited to get back to her house. Uh-uh. The stupid dog refused to get out of the car. I asked sweetly. I begged. I tried the aloof, "Well, Maggie and I are going inside. You just come on in when you're ready." approach. Nothing. She was bound and determined to stay in that car. I left the car door open and the door leading into the house open thinking that she would follow us, but after I had changed Maggie's diaper and clothes, I realized she wasn't coming. I had other places to go, so I really needed to get the dog out of my car. I put Maggie down inside and went back out to work on Ella. I tried threats, but I'm pretty sure she knew I was bluffing when I told her that I was going to take her back to the vet's for more shots. Then I tried pulling her out by the collar, but the collar was too loose and it came off. Then I nothing to pull her with. I finally had to climb into the car, wrap my arms around her, and drag the crazy fur ball out the car, the whole time growling, "Do you know how much money I spent on you today?" Ingrate. Well, I better run now. I would tell you some of the cute things the kids did today (Maggie can almost get her toes in her mouth now!), but I have to go force feed my dog expensive medications. I must really love this dog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay we need to see a picture of this dog.... To fun what a funny story!

Anonymous said...

Great work.