Sunday, March 18, 2007

Big Boy Underwear

That's right, folks, tomorrow I'm putting Carter in big boy underwear in an attempt to begin potty training. He's out of Mother's Day Out for spring break this week, so that will give us five days at home to try. I am armed with potty chairs, toilet rings, carpet cleaner, and lots and lots of underwear. I won't lie to you - I am not the least bit looking forward to this. I have been given advice from mothers and grandmothers everywhere I go. "Let him aim at Cheerios." "Give him M&M's when he goes." "Give him a bath every time he has an accident." "Turn him around so he's straddling the potty, facing backwards." Apparently this mother learned the hard way what little boys are capable of doing to a bathroom when they miss. And my favorite so far was from the Walmart cashier tonight: "Just let him pee off of the porch. He'll think that's a hoot! Of course, you have to let him know he can't do this all of the time." Now is it just me, or does it not defeat the purpose of potty training if the potty is in no way involved?

Thus far, my strategy has been to go to church this morning and pray for a miracle. I've asked God to just let Carter wake up in the morning and say, "Momma, I'd like to use the potty now." Stranger things have happened. Okay, maybe not. But it's a fun idea anyway. Perhaps I should lower my expectations and pray for patience instead. And a sale on carpet cleaner. I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

No comments: