Thursday, March 29, 2007

Flowers

The kids and I went to Lowe's today to get some flowers to plant in the front yard. This used to be so easy - I went and found what I liked and bought them. Now I have a two-year-old with strong floral opinions.

I made my first mistake when we pulled up into the parking lot. I thought I was making simple conversation.
Me: What color flowers do you think we ought to buy, Carter?
Carter: Let's buy pink flowers, Mommy.
Apparently this was not just small talk. It was a commitment. We got our cart and started looking.
Me: Do you like these flowers, Carter?
Carter: No, Mommy. I like pink flowers.
So I move on to some pink flowers.
Me: Here are some pink flowers, Carter! Aren't they pretty? Let's get these.
Carter: No, Mommy. I don't like them.
Me: Okay, how about these yellow flowers?
Carter: No, I don't like "lellow" flowers. I want pink.
I finally got him to agree to some red, yellow, and white flowers. But then he spotted it - his pink flower. It's a very small begonia.
Me: Should we get a tray of these?
Carter: No, just one, Mommy.
Me: You don't want to plant a bunch of pink flowers?
Carter: No, just one, Mommy.
I also bought him some sunflowers to grow from seeds. I want him to be able to actually see something grow out of the ground this summer. I'll have to find a spot in the back yard for his own sunflower garden. But this afternoon, we're going to go out after nap and plant a bunch of red, yellow, and white flowers - and one pink begonia.

No comments: